Monday, July 28, 2008

If I wrote a book...

from the morning prompt at NWP-VT summer institute '08

...it would have a different narrator in each chapter. There'd be few sensory details, but they'd be a powerful few. It'd probably have lots of symbolism and allusions that don't reveal themselves quickly. That's not to say that they'd be all that important. Ideas would be most important in my book. Maybe if I write it ten or twenty years from now people, characters, will be more important than ideas. My book would probably bore most people. Maybe it'd bore me, although I'd probably be really into writing it. I would have so much excitement and such big ideas. Then I'd get frustrated with my inability to capture all of it.

3 comments:

Jill said...

Hi soft spiral....I would suggest creating a pop-up book. You're kind of into the "sneak attack," so your book could literally punch people in the nose. Then maybe it wouldn't be such a snore. . .

Jenny said...

It may be true that in 20 years your book might be more about people than ideas. All you do in your youth is think. Then you can sit around and enjoy the second half, once you've worked stuff out.

REKording said...

Like The Bible? Different narrators for each chapter, about people and ideas, thrilling stories of yesteryear, miracles and wonders, sometimes pedestrian, sometimes transcendent, fiction and fable, parables and paracletes. Well, that book has kept the scholars busy for a quite a few centuries, so it's a worthy goal. The competition is pretty stiff, though.