Saturday, March 28, 2009

Apollo's Steed

The typical weather in Landivisiau seems to be overcast skies with scattered rain and varying winds. Two weeks ago, however, we had a streak of sunny days. Thanks to an English teacher at the high school, I had a day at the beach.



We left Plouescat for Roscoff, a small port town that services ferries to an even smaller island off its coast. I think they also have ferries that go to England. The wind felt pushy as I stood on a high rock at the Plouescat beach, but it was overbearing as we walked into the ocean on the bridge leading to the ferry access.



With good weather the following day and a friend of a friend with a car, we went back to Plouescat, this time to a much larger beach. I played with a soccer ball while the others collected seashells. Because it was so windy, I could kick the ball as far as I wanted (in the right direction) and eventually it would roll back to me.



Today we didn’t have much sun, but we had our horses. When you drive into Landivisiau there’s a sign that says (in French and Breton) “Welcome to Landivisiau, Home of the Horses.” Outside my window is a large, dirt parking lot that used to host the best horse market in the region. Things have changed, but today they had some sort of horse show. Lots of old people, some of them judges, and nervous chevaux.

No comments: