Monday, July 27, 2009

Trifocals

I’ve come up with three possible focuses for a graduate program in American Studies:

1. Explore the different forms of narrative in American literature – as well as media and vernacular – and the social and psychological implications of using those forms.

2. Study the major philosophies in American culture, and how literature has influenced and represented them.

3. Look at heroes in American culture, specifically through literature, and the implications thereof.

These are pretty general, though I think it’s good to start that way. Plus, I don’t foresee difficulty in narrowing them down. For starters, I’m mostly interested in 20th Century stuff. But now I need to figure out which focus offers the most fertile fields, instead of worn territory, and who can help me till them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i like 1 and 3 best. -ek