Thursday, April 23, 2009

Smooth

This is my friend Smooth. His real name isn’t Smooth, and because of the French accent it's more like “S’Moose” when we say it. But that’s how he was introduced to me: Smooth. In fact, it sounded so unlike my American pronunciation that I had no idea it was “Smooth” at first. That same day, though, I watched him skate a mini ramp in Rennes and I saw why they gave him the name.



One time, back in October, we’d come back from a pretty late night out and I fell asleep on the couch while Smooth and another friend stayed up a bit longer to talk. When they finally decided to call it a night, they had to move the couch a bit to get an extra mattress from behind it. Apparently I woke up. Smooth told me the next morning that I looked like a freaked out, wild animal, with crazy red eyes. I sat up and started talking in American super fast, none of which they understood, until they convinced me that everything was cool and I could go back to sleep.

We’ve been good friends ever since.

No comments: